Monday, December 23, 2013

Year end company party

Bigger companies really have a different culture to them.  The Christmas parties I went to while working for smaller companies had the same basic units: drinks, dancing, raffles, a small program...  The company party I went to last night had things amped far higher; like the song seems to be constructed the same but the levels were different.  The hosts were hired professionals rather than people from HR. The venue was a thumping club rented out for the night instead of a small hall or the boss' back yard.  The prizes were the recent phone/tablet hot items as opposed to large electrical appliances.  I remember there being a sack of rice as one of the prizes people were talking about when I just got hired somewhere.  I'm pretty sure something like 'twerking' being the dance of the night is just a 'sign of the times' or weird cultural zeitgeist that my current industry is in.  "It goes up to eleven." 

The event had a theme that employees should dress up to but turned out to be a Halloween type thing which meant guys dressed up however and the women... God bless 'em.  It's like some of them were figuring out how to get out of the house with the least amount of cloth possible and still stick to the theme.  Like Amanda Seyfried's mouse ears in Mean Girls.  Whatever complaints I had about the lack of food or my team ditching the plan to meet at the office without telling me had faded into the background as I joined the rest of the men in ogling what was on display.  Oh; and fedoras everywhere.

All in all it was fun.  I got to meet a couple of old friends.  One that caught me completely by surprise and brought me back to grade school of all things.  Seeing them made a link in my mind to the past that jump started all the comparisons in the first place.  But no matter how complicated things are now in terms of the presentation, the message was still the same.  As a year end celebration of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment